Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Wednesday, July 20, 2011

True meaning of sports

Everyone thinks the real reason that we play sports is to win. It may be the underlying reason but I believe the real reason is to learn and have fun
I have been on a lot of sports teams in my life and as much as I hate to say it most of them have not been very good. Granted we did still have fun most of the time but we didn't notch a lot of victories in the win column
In fact, I can remember playing a team in baseball when I was in junior league and literally losing something like 65-0. Keep in mind this was not football it was baseball and I can remember looking at the runners going round and round the bases for what seemed like hours.
High school was rough as well. Southgate Anderson was not known for track and we got crushed by such teams as Monroe, Dearborn Fordson and nearly everyone we played.
My best meet was at the old Taylor Center track when I ran against a kid in the hurdles and won pretty easily.
I knew at an early age I was no George Brett but I still thought maybe some day. We measure life in a lot of different ways and it is easy to use wins and loses but looking back I really think it is all about the memories and what you can take with you in every day life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]