Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Running away with spring sports

This season, besides the weather has been the busiest spring I have ever covered for Heritage Newspapers. I have been to countless baseball games, softball games, track meets, golf matches and even lacrosse this year.
If I missed any sports I am sorry but to this point it has been very active and exciting. I have done numerous player profiles (features) on my teams and a few others. What amazing me when talking to the student athletes is the different personalities and all the different answers I get to the same question.
My favorite question to ask at the end of the interview is: What would you tell someone who is younger than you and wants to be successful at the varsity level or at the next level in college? I get a who variety of answers to this one.
I like to cover games live because I get a chance to meet players and do some of these types of interviews. Recently I interviewed a pitcher from Ypsilanti softball, Megan Winkelseth, and she was perhaps one of the most interesting and intelligent interviews I have ever had at any level of sports (professional included).
Belleville's JaVaunte Mackson will have a feature in the paper soon. He is a great kid and I wish him luck in the future. There are not many athletes who I would want to go to their graduation parties but his in one of them I would definitely attend if I was invited.
Last week I made it out to Grass Lake to watched Manchester and do a couple of features. It was interesting and the weather was very nice. I even went with my former Heritage sports colleague Don Richter.
This past Monday I went out to Lincoln and watched the Splitters take two from Chelsea and coach Wayne Welton. It was cold, it was raining and by the end of the game I was froze. The worst thing about this kind of weather is not knowing how to dress for it. I was not dressed for it on Monday.
At least in football you know it will be cold. You expect it. I didn't expect it in the middle of May. My bad, I guess.
Hopefully summer will be here soon because the sport season is almost over and graduation is near.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]