Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Phoenix are rising

Okay, that may sound a bit cliche. I admit I am kind of old school when it comes to the playoffs but I want to tip my hat to the Ypsilanti Phoenix and to coach Steve Brooks and the rest of his staff.
These kids are very good this year and he has kept them focused and on track. You don't get to be 22-1 without being a good basketball team. I watched them three times last week play in the district in Monroe. They came away with a district championship and some pretty convincing wins.
The championship against Monroe was interesting considering in the first quarter Tristan Simmons once against showed his basketball skill as he scored 16 points in the first quarter. The team had a bit of a lull after that but I guess it was a good thing that Monroe scored 0 points in the second quarter and Ypsi had eight.
Now comes the test. The regional semis are at Saline on Monday against Taylor Kennedy. That winner will most certainly get Romulus (who like Ypsi) has only one loss on the season. I have seen Romulus beat Belleville this season but I have not watched the Kennedy Eagles. This will be a good challenge and like senior Aaerion Allen told me after the win on Friday it will be his biggest game of his life.
Oh, March Madness you have to love it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]