Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Drew Stanton and the Detroit Lions

Well it's about time the Detroit Lions finally let Drew Stanton play. All the guy does is compete, play hard and win. He won in high school and at Michigan State. And now he's winning for the Lions. I'm glad to see it happen. It's always fun watching Stanton complete a pass to Chelsea's Tony Scheffler. I remember covering a state football playoff game between Stanton's Farmington Hills Harrison team and Scheffler's Chelsea squad. It's kind of cool seeing those two now playing professionally for the local NFL team. I wish the Lions would give Stanton a longer look, but, of course, as soon as Matthew Stafford and his No. 1 draft pick and big salary return, Stanton will be a distant memory. I don't know, I'd really like to see Detroit stick with Stanton. His teammates seem to enjoy playing with him, and because he's such a tough, gritty guy, I think he's earned everybody's respect. Guys play harder for someone they respect -- big contract or not. The Lions have played hard these last three games with Stanton at the helm. I'd love to see it continue, but, of course, it's the Lions and we all know their history of making decisions and evaluating talent. I guess I should simply enjoy it while it lasts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]