Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bracketology is child's play


It's that time of year again. Today is the deadline. It's time to fill out your NCAA tournament bracket and hope for the best.
Then you can print it off and take it out to the bar with you and mark off all the wins and losses in front your friends and basically make sure you annoy everyone within a jump shot's range of you.
I'm not judging. In fact, in my formative college years, I think I was probably a bit of an annoying bracket guy myself, however, as I've grown up (well, at least gotten older anyway), I've learned not to take the bracket game so seriously.
Nope, not this year.
This year I decided to take a different approach.
Yeah, I did fill one out, it took me about five minutes. I really didn't even put that much thought in it.
But this year I took a different approach to filling out a tournament bracket. This year I got my son involved.
My son Teigan filled out his first ever tournament bracket this year. Now, because he is eight months old and has just recently mastered clapping, he needed a little help from dad. I was more than happy to oblige.
I wrote down every single team in the tournament and presented him the match ups, whichever one he grabbed and tried to eat was the winner and got to move on to the next round.
We did this for every game.
And there were some interesting results.
-Teigan picked every single No. 1 seed to win its first game.
-He decided that he isn't a huge fan of basketball in the state of Michigan, choosing, UCLA over Michigan State and Tennessee over Michigan.
-His Final Four included Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri and Kansas State.
-He picked Kansas to take down Kentucky in the final game.
While I'm not ruling out one day booking a campus visit to Lawrence, I have to say I was especially disappointed when my son failed to pick my alma mater, Oakland University. He has them losing in the first round to Texas.
Oh well, it could be worse I guess.
He could have picked Ohio State to win.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave Merchant said...

Mike,

I like Michigan because I think they are finally coming back. Since I can't route for Wayne State.

March 17, 2011 at 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]