Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Tuesday, July 20, 2010

New insight on Coach Johnny Epps II

Every so often there comes a time when you interview someone with one expectation in mind and come out with a totally new view on things because of what you have learned.
This happened to me on Monday night when I interviewed the former Lincoln girl's basketball coach Johnny Epps II over the phone. Granted when I covered Lincoln for the last couple of years in hoops he wasn't the easiest to get in touch with.
Now he is the junior varsity coach for the Lincoln baseball team. The reason I am writing this is because I had no idea that he was such a good basketball player himself. I knew he was tall (I had heard 6-11) he told me 6-9 but I didn't know after college how much traveling and playing in Europe, South America and Asia he did. To hear him talk and listen to how much he loves the game and loves to coach I have to say I am going to be honored to do a story for next week's Ypsilanti Courier about Epps and how interesting a life he has led and will continue to lead.
He knows his basketball and he was a good baseball player at Ypsilanti High as well. I am glad I got to know him better and look for his feature in the paper soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]