Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Monday, December 28, 2009

Cuts hurt student athletes

I was alarmed the other day when I found out how much money was cut out of the athletic budget at Willow Run High School. I know education is the most important foundation of any student's life but with that should come athletics.
I know for a fact most of these student athletes will not be turning professional and making football or basketball a career but I also know that a few of those can get college scholarships out of athletics and in turn use that to make a better life for themselves.
Does this huge cut in athletics translate to something more? I think it does. I am confused about why so much has to be cut. The junior varsity and lower programs will be out and the position of athletic director has also been eliminated. It seems to me to be a bit drastic and it will not attract other students to the district. In fact, I will bet it causes some students to reevaluate their positions and maybe go else where for an education.
I also wonder will this be something that Ypsi High, Lincoln or even Belleville will be looking at doing in the very near future?
I hope not but only time will tell the answer to that question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]