Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Sunday, October 25, 2009

So much Jana life information

Two noteworthy things happened this weekend, and both involved liquids.

First, I got soaked TO THE BONE Friday night at Milan's road game at Belleville. With teammate Don Richter covering Saline in Chelsea's territory, I hopped off to Dave Merchant land to cover the Big Reds and the Tigers. Also I'm an idiot, because I didn't bring A) a poncho or B) an umbrella. I figured, hey, it's been raining all day, it's probably done... for no other reason than that I assumed it was unreasonable for the rain to continue.

Well mother nature had another thing in mind, and she was brutal because it was without a doubt the hardest rain I've ever been in. That says something because I was a spring golfer in high school and we saw some RAIN. Basically what ended up happening is that the sidelines got to the point where I couldn't physically stand on them any longer. They were mini oceans of mud and rain water. Stupid me, I wore my Chucks, which were soaked through. And all that long underwear I put on beforehand? Counteractive, because once it got wet it was just another layer to make me cold. So I sat next to a nice Milan couple in the stands, and they let me sit on their sopping wet blanket with them.

Oh and FYI, I might have driven home barefoot. My feet were so cold that I was literally afraid they would get frostbite even though there is no frost to be seen. So I took off my shoes and socks, put the hot air on full blast and drove home with my pinkies hanging out. No sweat.

So the second occurrence this weekend involving liquids was me basically losing my junk in a movie theatre. I was the human Niagara Falls. I went to the Michigan Theatre with my dad and we saw The Boys Are Back. I've never sneakily cried so hard in my life. GREAT movie. I recommend it for sure. The two sons do a great job, as does Clive.

Side note... my eyes were actually red enough after that the man at Borders asked if I was ok. This was probably an hour later. I had stopped off for a quick cappuccino pick-me-up to work through the night and he was worried about me. I said "Do I really look that terrible?" ::Awkward pause:: No, of course not, he says. "MMmmk, bye."

Now moving on... THE PICKS.

Mike Larson wants everyone to know that he is the regular season champion. I say regular season because, obviously, we still have playoffs to do, and he wanted to jump the gun on his championship status. I am in a close second place, just one pick off. The rest are as follows below:

1. Mike Larson--This week: 7-3 Overall: 70-20
2. Jana Miller--This week: 7-3 Overall: 69-21
3. Ed Patino--This week: 7-3 Overall: 66-24
3. Don Richter--This week: 6-4 Overall: 66-24
5. Dave Merchant--This week: 6-4 Overall: 64-26

Lots of surprises this week. I picked two "upsets"... which basically means I was the only person to choose two particular teams, even though I wouldn't deem my selections as upsets. I had Riverview over Willow Run and Pioneer over Fordson. I almost got both of them, but Pioneer gave up a FG in the final few seconds to keep me from tying things up with Mike.

Also notable, Manchester actually lost a game. So no perfect season for them. We all had the Dutchmen going undefeated this year, but Hillsdale did well with a lot of Manchester turnovers. Also Dexter won in overtime over Swan Valley... and we all had the Swans to win.

Nothing else of note because Don was the only writer to pick the Spartans, and we all know how that turned out. Also I was right about Penn State.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]