Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Thursday, October 22, 2009

Excitement is in the air

The most exciting part about this job is that no two weeks are ever the same. In fact, no two days are ever the same.

On Friday night I am going to go to Riverview High School to cover Willow Run football against Riverview. If the Flyers win they will automatically make the state playoffs if they lose it may be difficult but they have an outside chance.

The funny thing is when I started with this company in 2000 I was covering Riverview and watching them go far in the playoffs. My how times change. I remember watching legendary Pirate Coach Don Lesner and how he was as a coach and mentor to the kids.

He was one of my all time favorite coaches to cover. After a game win or lose he would give me the stats, sit down with me, give me a pop and talk about the game. He didn't pull any punches he said it like it was. I loved watching football at Riverview and now I get to go back on the opposite side.

I really like Flyer Coach Rufus Pipkins and I hope they do well but I have to say things have changed in nine years. Don has passed on and now I am an interested party in Willow Run and not so much in Riverview. We miss you Dr. Lesner and we hope you are coaching somewhere up in heaven. But alas I have to report what happens either one.

Just the facts, mam! Just the facts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]