Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Going the distance (Week 5)


Last week my fiancee Amanda asked me if I was scared about running in the Detroit Half Marathon (which, at the time of this writing, is only about four weeks away).
It was a confusing question at first.
Why would I be scared?
I'm sure there will be some jitters before the race, but fear?
No.
I'm not scared.
I still feel like my training is going well and that I'm consistently getting better. I'm learning that my body can take a lot more punishment than I ever thought before.
Last week marked the halfway point in my training, and it was a little easier than every other week.
My longest run was only five miles. Listen to me. Only five miles. That used to be a really big deal for me, now, it's just another run.
And as I was out on one of my runs last week, I couldn't help but go back and think about what Mandy had asked me.
Was I scared?
I still didn't think I had anything to fear. At this point, I am almost positive I could finish the race. My time might not be where I want it to be, but I'm sure I could finish.
I don't have the doubts that I used to. So I'm not scared I can't finish.
But as I trudged along, I couldn't help but think of some scenarios, and I came to the realization that I did have some fears.
They weren't really about finishing the race, but rather, if I would get the chance to run in it.
What if I got hurt?
What if there was some kind of family emergency that happened the day of the race?
What if the race got canceled for some reason?
All I kept thinking was how terrible it would be to go through all of this training, and then not be able to finish my goal.
But, then, just like the fears and doubts I had a couple months ago when I started running, these fears just kind of melted away.
There are things I can control, and things I can't. And I can't spend time worrying about the things that I can't control. It's just that simple.
So maybe something will happen that will keep me from accomplishing my goal this year. And if it does, I'll be back to finish it as soon as I'm able.
All I can do is try to stay as fit and healthy as possible, and leave the rest up chance.
So, am I scared?
Not one bit.
In fact, I've never been more sure of anything in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]