Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Tuesday, August 17, 2010

High school, pro football

The first day of high school football was very exciting for me this year. Not because I went out and checked out all four of my local teams (but I did send a photographer to two of them).
No, it was exciting because I went on my yearly visit to the Detroit Lions training camp in Allen Park. Granted it is near my home but I still like to get out every once in awhile and see how the professional do things.
I am not just talking about the professional players either. All the reporters from the big daily papers were on hand to chat with the players and the coaches. There were a lot of people who either work for the Detroit Lions or are employed as security guards and emergency medical personnel as well.
The Lions have a top-notch practice facility and it is definitely a thrill as a reporter to get the chance and watch them play. Granted it isn’t as fun as watching them play in person at Ford Field in a real game or even watching them on television on a Sunday afternoon but I did enjoy it.
Growing up in Detroit I have always watched the Lions and I have very fond memories of Billy Sims and Barry Sanders running the football. I can even remember when Eric Hipple was the quarterback or even Gary Danielson who was the great Dearborn Divine Child quarterback as well.
Now things have changed and Lions have new faces and an entire new outlook on the game. I was able to watch their new rookie Ndamukong Suh from Nebraska playing defensive tackle. At 6-4 and 307 pounds this is one big player. I can’t wait to see what he does at the professional level.
It is always risky paying rookies the kind of money he is getting but I think in the end things will work out good for both him and the team. Look at it this way. No one can accuse the Lions of not paying their players what they are worth.
After a good rookie season quarterback Matthew Stafford should be ready to go. I know he is making the big bucks and he showed a lot of improvement last season. Drew Stanton of Michigan State and former Farmington Hills Harrison standout will be competing for playing time.
One of the new players on the team this season is tight end Tony Scheffler who comes to the Lions via the Denver Broncos. As everyone knows he played high school ball at Chelsea and college ball at Western Michigan University. I saw him makes some catches and look forward to talking to him during the season and maybe at one of the upcoming practices.
Now that I have discussed the pros and the playing making all the money it is time to talk about the high school teams and players whom we wish will make it to the pros in the future. I am not saying that Belleville will produce any more Ian Gold or Cullen and Kris Jenkins but you never know.
Ypsi has a long storied history of players who have been to college and to the pros. I hope to cover some more of them and see that they can do.
Life isn’t easy and neither is football but if students stick to athletics and academics that know where they will end up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]