Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Monday, August 16, 2010

Going the distance (Week 1)


It's Monday, and after my first week of training for the Detroit Half Marathon, I've attained my biggest goal. That, of course, was to still be alive at this point.
Mission accomplished. And outside of a little soreness in my quads, I'm no worse for the wear.
The first week went well, although my biggest challenge came on Sunday.
After doing three very pretty reasonable runs throughout the week, Sunday called for an eight-mile jaunt.
For some, that might not seem like a big deal, but for me it was huge. I've never ran for more than six miles at a time, so to add another two miles was somewhat of a psychological barrier.
However, I knew if I wanted to ever run 13 miles, I would have to stick to the plan. I knew I had to break through that wall in my head.
My running plan didn't call for the run to be fast. It just said that I had to finish at a pace of 10:30 per mile. So, as I was lacing up my Nikes I did some quick math. If I was going to finish this run at my goal pace, I would be running for 84 minutes. Almost an hour and a half of constant motion.
I could almost feel that imaginary barrier growing.
But I took off anyway, trying not to think about how much ground I had to cover.
It was about 8:45 a.m. when I left, and my fiance Amanda and I had plans for breakfast with friends at 11 a.m. So I knew there was a little pressure to finish in time for me to have a little rest and shower before our date.
The first three miles when great, and even in the heat I felt like I was moving at a good pace.
But the fourth mile was a killer.
I could feel my legs starting to get tired as I approached the halfway point. But I slugged along. At the midway point of my run I felt like quitting. I kept thinking, "If you feel like this now, how is it going to be in another mile?"
But I kept going, kept moving, kept trying to pick up the pace.
And then things started to get easier.
After the fifth mile, I started thinking, "Hey, I've only got three miles left. I can do three miles."
And then I felt my legs starting to move a litter faster and a little stronger. Things seemed to be going a little quicker as I passed by.
After seven miles I was not only feeling good because the run was almost over, but because I had now run longer than I had ever run before. I could almost taste that delicious breakfast we would be enjoying soon.
After that, the last mile was a breeze. And then, as I sprinted the last 100 yards or so back to my house, I felt that barrier that had taunted me before the run shatter. For a brief moment, I felt pretty unstoppable.
I'm anxious for more moments like that.
However, I still have a lot of work to do. My plan called for me to finish at about a 10:30 pace. I didn't make that. Instead, I finished with a pace of about 10:40. But I decided I could live with that as long as I continued to improve on it.
But that wasn't even my biggest problem.
Apparently our breakfast date was for 10:30 a.m., not 11.
So, when I walked into the house, dripping with sweat from head to toe, I was greeted by a smiling Amanda.
"How did it go," she asked, followed quickly by, "you know we have to be to breakfast in 14 minutes."
I might not be the fastest runner yet, but after Sunday, I think I might be in contention for fastest post-run shower.

Week 1 Training


Monday:
Rest

Tuesday: 4 miles (10:30 per mile) Actual- 9:10 per mile

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: 5 miles (3 miles at 8:54 per mile) Actual- 2 miles at 10:31, 3 miles at 8:52 per mile

Friday: 4 miles (10:30 per mile) Actual- 9:35 per mile

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: 8 miles (10:30 per mile) Actual- 10:41

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations on reaching the eight mile goal. I will look forward to your weekly updates. Can you post the date and location of the marathon on your next post. Want to make I get it on my calendar.

August 17, 2010 at 6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]