Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Friday, April 23, 2010

Things I learned this week

Life is an educational process. Every day we walk into a classroom and learn something. Here are a few things I learned this week at the various "classrooms" I attended.
* While covering Ypsilanti sports, I learned how passionate and determined the Ypsilanti coaches are to their respective teams. I saw how that commitment is copied by the players during the Phoenix soccer game Thursday with Skyline. Even though Ypsilanti was getting beat pretty handily – the final score was 8-0 – the Phoenix never stopped playing hard. The girls on the bench kept cheering and supporting their teammates. They didn’t win the game, but this team is a group of winners. And you can hear that pride from every Ypsilanti coach I talked with. This is a school to watch out for in the future.
* I met a very special young lady on Thursday who has to deal with stuff a person her age should never have to deal with. I could list a ton of adjectives to describe her, but courageous would be at the top of the list. I learned just how well a lot of us have it and to never take anything for granted. I say to her, "your mom has reached out and touched another person and I feel like I met her through you. I thank you for that."
* Tennis is more like baseball and lacrosse is more like football – when it comes to Mother Nature. A brief rainstorm washed away a tennis match on Wednesday between Adrian and Dexter. Even though it lasted only a few minutes and the sun returned to the sky, the match was called. The court was too slippery. And the way tennis players sprint and slam on the breaks, it would be easy to get seriously injured on a wet surface. Lacrosse, however, is played in the rain, snow or anything else thrown at them.
* The Dexter softball team can hit. They were piling up the runs in the fourth inning on Thursday. As far as I know, they may still be batting. My ears are still ringing from the sound of those aluminum bats punishing the softball.
* I learned that the NFL is concerned about all this technology us sports fans are enjoying these days and how it may result in empty seats at the stadiums. And they should be. Why should I get in my car, deal with the traffic, try to find a parking spot, pay $75 for a ticket, pay $20 for a beer and hot dog and sit next to a drunk in the stands when I can sit on my couch at home and watch the Lions lose on my 36-inch high def 3-D Plasma TV with all of the other games one click away? Yeah, they should be worried.
* I learned fewer and fewer people are counting down the days to Michigan football.
* I learned more and more people are counting down the days to the first Tuesday in November.
* I should have learned that people have probably stopped reading by this point and stopped writing at about the third item.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]