Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Thursday, April 8, 2010

Need proof that soccer players are tough?

It’s been a crazy month of April so far and we are only nine days in.
Just last Friday I was playing golf with my son wearing shorts and a golf shirt and wiping sweat off my forehead after one of my ripping 180-yard drives into the woods. Hey, it’s early.
On Thursday I was standing on the track at Chelsea High School wearing my winter coat watching a soccer game remembering just how painful a hard soccer ball can feel on freezing legs. I didn’t hear one complaint from any of the Chelsea or Milan soccer players about how cold it was – they just played hard and didn’t let it bother them.
Now, as a former soccer player I promise I won’t make fun of the baseball team. Yes, the baseball game was cancelled because it was too cold and the field was too wet. As I told my dad countless times growing up, soccer players are just tougher than baseball players. The soccer players proved it again on Thursday.
I was looking forward to watching the baseball team play in a doubleheader and then head over and watch the soccer game. It was going to be the perfect afternoon. But Mother Nature interfered. Well, it’s spring after all.
The girls moved the game to the evening and turned the lights on at the football field. The Bulldogs provided plenty of electricity with a very well played 4-0 win. Still, it was freezing – even with a winter jacket on.
It’s been quite a week in the sports world. The Yankees-Red Sox marathon on Sunday night to start the baseball season, Duke holding off Butler with that dramatic ending in Indianapolis and Tiger proving he’s still Tiger with a golf club in his hand. But Fred Couples and Tom Watson atop the leaderboard? You can’t script it any better.
Spring break will finally be over next week and the spring sports season will finally take off. Hopefully, I can take off my winter jacket and put it away until the fall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]