Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Monday, April 5, 2010

Indeed, 'welcome back, Tiger'

Tiger Woods is back on the golf course this week. He was met with "mild" applause when he stepped to the tee on Monday. A spectator reportedly shouted out, "welcome back, Tiger."
Yes, welcome back, Tiger. Can we please get back to playing golf. Can the media not covering golf please go away. Enough, already.
The NY Post has a big headline on its Web site today : "Five questions we want answered from Tiger."
First of all, who is we. Or is it whom are we. I get that confused. That’s a question I really want answered more than anything about Tiger Woods’ personal life. Among the questions, "What exactly have you been in therapy for?"
Is it our business as golf fans to know why a professional golfer is in therapy? Why do I care? Why do you care? I would think his family cares, but I’m sure they already know the answer to this. In fact, I’m certain his family knows the answer to all five of these stupid questions.
"How will these events in your life change you the most?"
Really? We really need to have Tiger Woods answer this before we can get past this? And these questions came from a sportswriter in a major market who I’m sure has seen his share of professional athletes hanging out with the ladies. Even the married ones. And this from a sportswriter in New York who I’m sure is perfect and wouldn’t mind if we asked him five questions about his PERSONAL life.
We sometimes hold people up to higher standards. Some, such as elected officials, need to follow a certain code of ethics that we expect and deserve since they are supposed to be looking out for our best interest. I’m sure some of Tiger’s corporate sponsors expect their spokesmen to also live up to these standards. A few have let Tiger go after the news of his "sex scandal." That’s their choice. Some, such as Nike, have stood by him.
But the guy is a golfer. I’m a golf fan. I don’t care what he does when he’s not playing golf. He’s not a role model to me or my kids. He plays golf. He has a personal life with apparently some issues to deal with and I wish him the best.
Here are the five questions I want Tiger to answer:
Can you avoid three-putting on the tricky Augusta greens?
How is your short game?
Can you keep the ball in the fairway?
Can you keep your caddie under control when a spectator heckles you?
Can you win The Masters?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]