Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ypsi baseball shocks Trojans

I still can't figure out who was more shocked on Monday night. Was it the Monroe Trojans baseball team or the Ypsilanti baseball team? I think it was the Trojans who obviously overlooked Ypsilanti High.
With two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning Phoenix hitter Tyler Garfield took the Monroe pitcher deep with the bases loaded for a walk-off grand slam to give Ypsilanti its first win of the season by a score of 7-5. Way to go Garfield who by the way had two strikes on him and drove the ball about 340 feet over the centerfield fence. It might not be the biggest hit of his career (I think it is) but he and his team mates with remember it for a long time (and so will the Trojans).
Pitcher Alex Lillie went the distance and struck out two batters.Great transition from wrestling to baseball.
I would like to compliment Ypsi Coach Chris Dessellier for his first win as a Phoenix. I spoke to him in person yesterday at the Special Olympics being held in Saline. He is a very nice person who kept saying he was sorry he didn't get his results in more in the paper.
I told him he was doing a great job and not to worry. Chris said his team has a very tough challenge this season in the Southeast Conference but believes they may still shock some people.
Good job guys!
I want to say how sorry I am that Ernie Harwell passed away yesterday. I had met him a few times and interviewed him as well. I can honestly say I have never interviewed a nicer person in all my life. When I was done talking to him after the ground breaking ceremony for Comerica Park he actually thanked me for the interview and wished me luck with the article.
What a great man! Ernie you will be missed by more people than you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]