Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Special Olympics means a lot

I have to say last week when I went to Saline High School to watch the Special Olympics it really touched me. I was watching the athletes with special needs and I realized a couple of very important life lessons.
The first was that I have two children that are very healthy and I am very pleased to have those kids in my life. For everything that my children do to get on my nerves they are smart, healthy and very positive.
The other thing I realized is just how special these kids are with special needs. It is nice to have activities like the Special Olympics that cater to the children but they should have more of these.
These kids deserve to have just as much of a normal life as they can.
I was able to talk with a couple of the kids from Ypsilanti High and see one of the coaches Torin Moore who helps the kids in this activity as well.
Moore is also the varsity track coach for Ypsilanti and he has a lot of kids on the teams he coaches. One student at this event was on the track team as well.
I was able to talk with Moore at the Golden Triangle Meet on Friday at Saline. It was a different light but the same great personality. He is a very good coach and a great person as well.
If you get a chance to read this let me know what you think of the Special Olympics and helping those with special needs compete in sports and be as normal as they can.
Dave Merchant is a staff writer for the View and Courier newspapers and can be reached at 734-429-7380 or dmerchant@heritage.com.
Input is always welcomed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]