Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Last Friday, I attended the Golden Triangle Meet of Champions at Saline High School. The event, hosted by the Hornets, attracted 13 schools. Despite rainy, windy, stormy weather, the athletes were out in force for the competition, which included both a boys' meet and a girls' meet. As I walked among all the athletes and covered the meet last week, I kept thinking to myself what a chore it must be to organize such an event. I can barely organize a small family get together at my house, yet alone take on a huge, multi-team track and field meet. Kudos to whoever takes the time to handle all of the details and arranges the meet so that it moves along like clockwork.
And while we're at it, what a nice complex Saline has for track and field. I remember when I ran track back in the 1980s, some of the schools I competed at actually had weeds growing up through the asphalt. You had to hop over them as you ran if they were in your lane. Prior to coming to Heritage Newspapers, I covered a small, rural high school in mid-Michigan that didn't even have a track. I'll never forget writing the story about the school's team and watching a few of the athletes practice hurdles in the carpeted hallways. Very strange, indeed. Oddly enough, a few years later, that high school would win a state championship in track and field.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]