Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Chuck Koch remembered

I want to start out by saying in my line of work you cover a lot of different things that can be big or little events. On Saturday afternoon I had the unique pleasure to cover the dedication of a new softball field to the former athletic director of Willow Run High School who passed away in 2001.
I didn't know Chuck Koch but I will say I would have liked to. The man touched a lot of people's loves over the years and you could tell by the mere turnout at the field on that day.
Yes, a lot of those people were relatives of his (I understand he comes from a big family) but there were also former students and I was very impressed by the entire presentation.
Hillary Edwards (daughter of softball coach Duane Edwards) gave a very good dedication speech and it was touching to hear what he meant to a lot of people.
I cover a lot of events and most of them are games but this one touched me. I felt like I knew him and I really felt glad for the family that this was being done for them. When I drive by the field and see that new sign I will remember that dedication.
Please check out the video at www.heritage.com under sports video and there is a nice article about the event in the paper on Thursday with several pictures.
Thanks for letting me be part of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]