Heritage's Starting Five

Tune in as local Heritage West sports writers put their two cents in on area teams and the world of sports. Writers from the Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter, Ypsilanti, Manchester, Saline, Milan and Belleville papers will talk to you about what they do best, and what the best sports teams are doing.


Monday, September 7, 2009

Massive fail, but hopeful prospects...

So in light of the busy weekend, I wasn't able to do my super double awesome post over the weekend to this glorious Benchwarmers blog. Originally the plan was that I would be the queen of weekend posts. And now that it's Monday night (but it's a holiday so maybe it counts), I don't feel guilty summarizing the best moments of the weekend in list form. So I'm going to. Read on, fans, read on...

1. UofM won a football game. Scary, I know. But sometimes even a slow squirrel finds an acorn. I kid, I kid... we looked pretty good and I have decent faith (read my post below... 8-4, it could happen, baby).

2. US Open tennis rocks. I watched it all weekend long. And then I went outside all inspired and hit tennis balls on the court outside my door. I hurt today. I hurt real bad. But out of that I got to see Melanie Oudin (a 17-year-old newbie) take out three seeded Russians in a row, including Dementieva, Sharapova, and today's win against Svetlana... at least I think that was her name. I should know this, but honestly all the Russian names sound same to me. Like Alena and Cordonbleuva. And interestingly enough, she was ranked like 230th on the tour going in, and has won all of her match upsets after losing the first set. She's something like 1-9 in first sets and 13-2 in second and thirds. So keep that fight, peeps. It pays off for Bulldogs like her (not Chelsea, Georgia... she's from GA).

Also, side note... Roddick lost. And he lost to another American John Isner... who happens to be the most colossal tennis player pretty much ever. The man is 6'9". He's a beast. It was an awesome five-set match with lots and lots of tiebreakers and a sort of sad ending. And while it was fun to watch, I almost wish it hadn't happened... because Isner has no longevity in tourneys like this yet, and he lost in the next round to a player that Roddick would have annihilated. So now for the first time in the history of the US Open, there is no man from the United States in the quarterfinals. But favorites like Soderling and Federer are still in, and coincidentally play each other like tomorrow or something. Stay tuned.

3. Saline won against Adrian in a crazy as all chaos double overtime. Lots of Maple mistakes on special teams and lots of quarterback swaps for the Hornets. Weird momentum shifts and people got their money's worth. Go them.

4. I hung all my art. This isn't particularly sports related, but hey, it felt like hard work while I was doing it and it made me feel a general sigh of relief to know that my new apartment looks like a real home now. Go me and the UHaul truck I drove in on.

It would be nice if I had a fifth, because the best writers in the world can always either narrow it down to three, think of five or even stretch it to 10. I am not one of those writers. I'm the lazy one who worked all day on a holiday and now wants to go read her book in bed. And she will. (The Road by Cormac McCarthy... Pulitzer Prize winner... I recommend it... being made into a movie... good stuff...)


OH WAIT! I'VE THOUGHT OF IT!

NUMBER 5! I'M WINNING THE PIGSKIN PICKS!
Yes, you heard right. Of all these sillies listed below... (you may have read some of their posts)... I am winning in football picks after Week 2. And I will toot my horn really loudly, because who knows how long this bliss will last? Right now I'm 19-1 over the first two weeks because I went 11-0 this week. But I shouldn't gloat because A) Mike Larson is close behind at 18-2, and B) some of the biggest rivalry games are going on this week and it will make or break my record. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]